Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Tidying index and tables
Tidying index and tables [message #62096] Thu, 24 June 2004 09:19 Go to next message
James Briar
I need to set up regular jobs that keep indexes and tables tidy. I plan to run "alter index indexname rebuild;" to tidy the indexes but is there anything else i could do, say on the actual table?

We're running Oracle 8i on a Sun Solaris 8 unix platform.
Re: Tidying index and tables [message #62097 is a reply to message #62096] Thu, 24 June 2004 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
You will probably also need to collect stats again. Before you get into rebuilding indexes you should be able to quantify the improvement you think you are getting. Oracle has no general recommendation to rebuild indexes. Of course there are cases when rebuilding tables or indexes can shrink their sizes. Be careful not to start a new myth that rebuilding indexes and tables as a regular activity is a good thing. A good reason not to mess around with your schema is that you could end up dropping an index if your rebuild job fails and then you are going to have a 3 month investgation to find outwhy your app is suddenly slow. Oracle has a great paper called "How to Stop Defragmenting and Start Living". Just google for it.
Re: Tidying index and tables [message #62098 is a reply to message #62096] Thu, 24 June 2004 10:26 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Andrew said it sound and clear.
There is no proof that, just rebuilding indexes helps on performance.
Rather updating the statistics by analzying the table and indexes in REGULAR BASIS will definatly help the database.
Previous Topic: SPACE LEAK
Next Topic: Cannot connect to Oracle 8 server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:32:09 CDT 2024