Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » 9i-newbie-question!
9i-newbie-question! [message #61896] Wed, 09 June 2004 01:24 Go to next message
Alex
Situation:

Several DBs (8.1.7. and 8.0.5) on windows 2000 and NT.

I want to admistrate them from a XP. Is it possible to install 9i without trouble on XP and is it possible to admistrate Oracle 8i from a 9i? Which kind of installation-type I have to chose (I think 'client'-the third one in the menu of the OUI!?)

And will I have my tools like OEM in the client-version?
Re: 9i-newbie-question! [message #61902 is a reply to message #61896] Wed, 09 June 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>>Is it possible to install 9i without trouble on XP ?
did you try? did 'ya get any errors? please post 'em.

>>>is it possible to admistrate Oracle 8i from a 9i?
Do you mean admininstring with OEM repository or standalone or just a dbaStudio or any third-party tools?
it is possible.
Generally , it is better to go higher-up. ie, use 8i client to administer 9i database.
reason is, certain tools may not work properly when using a higher version client to a lower version database. ( like export/import ...u need to install the 9i views in 8i database )
Re: 9i-newbie-question! [message #61933 is a reply to message #61902] Thu, 10 June 2004 21:37 Go to previous message
Alex
Thanks for the answer.
I tried the installation now and it worked fine without errors.
I use a OEM standalone and I managed it to connect with the 8.1.7. DBs without problems. But I read in the documentation, that I have with an OEM repository more possibilities. I think I need a Management Server for such EM, but how I can control, one is running?
Previous Topic: server
Next Topic: Which init.ora?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:31:10 CDT 2024