Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How to work out free space in segment extent?
How to work out free space in segment extent? [message #60981] Thu, 18 March 2004 00:03 Go to next message
IA
Hi,

I have a table that is continuosly growing. I would like to monitor the amount of space used for that segment so that I can allocate an extent/extents to this segment. In this way I avoid Oracle server allocating an extent to the table and hence avoid performance degradation.

I have stored the segment in a locally managed tablespace with extent size uniform 1M.

What I mean to say is that if my table initially has 1MB extent allocated to it, how can I work out when this extent is close to filling up ... so that I can manually allocate an extra extent for this table?

Your feedback would be appreciated .... Thanks IA.
Re: How to work out free space in segment extent? [message #60985 is a reply to message #60981] Thu, 18 March 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepa
"Extents reaching maximum"

select owner "Owner", segment_name "Segment Name", segment_type "Type", tablespace_name "Tablespace", extents "Ext", max_extents "Max"from dba_segments where ((max_extents - extents) <= 3) and owner not in ('SYS','SYSTEM') order by owner, segment_name

This query will give u an alert if there are only 3 extents left to be filled.
Re: How to work out free space in segment extent? [message #60997 is a reply to message #60981] Thu, 18 March 2004 04:29 Go to previous message
Thiru
Why do you want to put so much workload on yourself by manually allocating extent each and every time!! Size the extents(ie uniform extent size) appropriately and let the LMT take care of itself..

-Thiru
Previous Topic: DBMS_logmnr
Next Topic: 100% processor usage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:45:40 CDT 2024