Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » A stupid question.
A stupid question. [message #60846] Tue, 09 March 2004 20:35 Go to next message
Gayatri
I feel dumb even asking this but I desperately need help.

I installed Personal Oracle 8i for WINDOWS 2000 in the D-drive of my home PC and then installed Oracle Forms & Reports 6i for WINDOWS NT in the C-drive. My OS is Windows 2000.

As expected, Forms and Reports refuse to connect to the Oracle database. I have tried everything to make it work and want to know if there's ANYTHING that can be done to achieve Forms & Reports connectivity.  I am unable to secure a CD that contains Forms & Reports 6i for Windows 2000. Please someone help me make Forms and Reports work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: A stupid question. [message #60853 is a reply to message #60846] Wed, 10 March 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>>As expected, Forms and Reports refuse to connect to the Oracle database
Please post the exact error message you are getting.
since the database server and clients (forms/reports) reside in the same machine ( and assuming u dont have more than one database in the same machine)
you dont need any tnsnames.ora entries.
If u intend to use one,
be aware that every client/home installation will have its own tnsnames.ora.
so,
start the database listner.
configure ur tnsnames.ora ( speicificcally for forms/reports).
Forms & Reports 6i for Windows NT refusing to connect to Personal Oracle 8i for Windows 2000! [message #60855 is a reply to message #60853] Wed, 10 March 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gayatri
Hello, I repeatedly recieved the errors ORA-12203 and
ORA-12154. To explain,

I installed Oracle 8i for Windows 2000 database first in the D-Drive. I then attempted to install Forms & Reports 6i for Windows NT in the same drive, but it refused saying that there already exists an Oracle home for a Windows 2000 Oracle database. So I installed Forms & Reports in the C-DRIVE. The installations went without a hitch, but when it came to attempting to connect to the database, I kept on getting these 2 errors, ORA-12203 and ORA-12154.

My question is:

(1) Is the problem occuring because the OS is Windows 2000 whereas Forms & Reports 6i is for Windows NT?

(2) If not, could you please tell me the steps I should take to achieve connectivity from Forms 6ito Oracle 8i?

I'm very new to Oracle and am just beginning to learn, so detailed steps on solving this problem would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks.
Re: Forms & Reports 6i for Windows NT refusing to connect to Personal Oracle 8i for Windows 2000 [message #60877 is a reply to message #60855] Thu, 11 March 2004 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tushaar
Another thing - you will have to use tnsnames connect string to connect.It does not connect without a connect string.
Re: Forms & Reports 6i for Windows NT refusing to connect to Personal Oracle 8i for Windows 2000 [message #60878 is a reply to message #60877] Thu, 11 March 2004 17:04 Go to previous message
Tushaar
Gayatri,
1.ensure that the database is up and running
2.ensure that the listener process is running
3.ensure that all net80 software is installed for the forms/reports software.
4.ensure that the connect string is configured in the tnsnames.ora for the forms/reports install
5.ensure that tnsping from the $ORACLE_HOME/bin for forms/reports works and can connect using the connect string
-Tushaar
Previous Topic: dbms_status.auto_sample_size
Next Topic: Sending mail in Oracle 8.0.5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:25:00 CDT 2024