Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Clone Database requires recovery
Clone Database requires recovery [message #60580] Tue, 17 February 2004 14:50 Go to next message
Anish
I've been testing restoring a database with cold backups because I don't have access the production database to shutdown and make a copy of.

I'm able to clone the database on another server with exaclty the same directory strucutre with no problem by simply copying files over.  When I try to make a clone of this new database using the control file trace and altering the directory structure.  The database always requires recovery after running the controlfile creation script and attempting to open database with resetlog options.  Unfortunately I can't locate the archived redo logs to apply.  I've tried this approach with several databases and keep gettng the same recovery required.

I follow the steps to create a clone database using control file trace.  What could be wrong?

Re: Clone Database requires recovery [message #60591 is a reply to message #60580] Wed, 18 February 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
If its from a valid cold backup, you should be able to cancel the media recovery immediately or at any point,when it prompts you for archive logs(ie type 'cancel') . I hope you shutdown the database immediate (or normal) so that even instance recovery is not required.

-Thiru
Re: Clone Database requires recovery [message #60599 is a reply to message #60580] Wed, 18 February 2004 10:43 Go to previous message
Sanjay
I though cloning was to be performed and copied when the database is down (cold) ... I have personally NEVER tried to clone a HOT database. I have cloned plenty of DBs but when they are cold and have had NO problems at all...

As for the 'archive log', in the trace file, mark it with 'noarchive' and see. I have done this to clone a 'archive logging' database and bring it up on a 'no archive log' state.

Cheers.
--
Sanjay
Previous Topic: sys : insufficient privileges
Next Topic: UTL_FILE in 9i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:40:50 CDT 2024