Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Estimate the UNIFORM SIZE tips (Locally Managed Tablespace - Oracle 8i).
Estimate the UNIFORM SIZE tips (Locally Managed Tablespace - Oracle 8i). [message #60515] Wed, 11 February 2004 22:48 Go to next message
Patrick Tahiri
Hi,

I'm using Oracle 8i with Locally Managed Tablespaces (LMT) and I want to know more about some "tricks" and strategies about the value of UNIFORM clause choice (AUTOALLOCATE is not available before Oracle 9i..).

I understood that if one have 3 types of tables (segments): small, medium and large it is best to have 3 types tablespaces with different UNIFORM SIZE!

I know also that it's recommended to set the UNIFORM extent size to be the same as your SORT_AREA_SIZE or multiples of it!

Is there any other recommendations and tips to set the UNIFORM SIZE to fit best to a tablespace with small table size, another tablespace with medium tables size and another with large table size? Which will be the standard or classic values of UNIFORM SIZE X[[K&#124M]] in each of these 3 cases?

Is there any special recommendations and tips to set the value of the UNIFORM SIZE for a tablespace containing:

1. a table with a predominance of large amount of inserts?

2. a  table with a predominance of large amount of updates?

3. a table with a predominance of heavy select activities on it?

Thank you very much in advance for your advises and tips!

Regards,

Patrick Tahiri.<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">
Re: Estimate the UNIFORM SIZE tips (Locally Managed Tablespace - Oracle 8i). [message #60527 is a reply to message #60515] Thu, 12 February 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Patrick,
Quote "I understood that if one have 3 types of tables (segments): small, medium and large it is best to have 3 types tablespaces with different UNIFORM SIZE!"

is not a rule. It is to say , if you have widely varying segment sizes(tables or indexes), then you could group them by their sizes/growth into say 3 tablespaces . One for say extent sizes 256k , 2nd one for say 4m , 3rd one for say 64m . Again the exact values differ depending on your segment sizes/growth.

Quote "I know also that it's recommended to set the UNIFORM extent size to be the same as your SORT_AREA_SIZE or multiples of it!"

only for TEMPORARY tablespaces, not for your data/index/rollback tablespaces.

For UNIFORM extent size, pick up a value that is a multiple of your dbfile_multiblock_read_count and one that will not cause your segments to have 1000s and 1000s of extents ( I know I have heard others say million extents are OK in LMT, but I dont think so).

Note this extent size is not dependent on your inserts/updates directly. In 8i,you'll be tuning your PCTUSED,FREELISTS,INITRANS,PCTFREE etc to cater to these transaction activities. In 9i, you can use ASSM to let Oracle manage the space within your segments/blocks( but you still need to take care of PCTFREE, if required).

Hope this helps
Thiru
Re: Estimate the UNIFORM SIZE tips (Locally Managed Tablespace - Oracle 8i). [message #60533 is a reply to message #60527] Thu, 12 February 2004 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Tahiri
Thiru, you are my mentor! :-)
Thank you so much for your advises! Very interesting what you wrote about UNIFORM and Extent managment strategy!

Have a nice week end!!

Best regards,

Patrick Tahiri.
Re: Estimate the UNIFORM SIZE tips (Locally Managed Tablespace - Oracle 8i). [message #60539 is a reply to message #60527] Fri, 13 February 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
I was re-reading the post and found that I missed db_block_size in the extent size calculation, Oops!

its db_file_multi_block_read_count*db_block_size

eg) 8 * 8K = 64K , 4 * 16 * 16k= 1M etc.

-Thiru
Re: Estimate the UNIFORM SIZE tips (Locally Managed Tablespace - Oracle 8i). [message #60839 is a reply to message #60527] Tue, 09 March 2004 12:33 Go to previous message
Sundari
I am new to Oracle, can you give me a quick 101 on how the autoextend ON feature works with UNIFORM size in locally managed tablespaces?? Thanks
Previous Topic: Snapshot Error on oracle 9i Auto Undo Management
Next Topic: ORA:12203
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:47:06 CDT 2024