Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Initialisation Parameters in RDBMS Server 9204
Initialisation Parameters in RDBMS Server 9204 [message #60373] Tue, 03 February 2004 12:56 Go to next message
LT
Hi All!

I was wondering if someone would be able to give me some advise with regard to the sizing setting of the Oracle Memory structures.

I have a dual processor server with 8Gb RAM running Windows 2000 Server service pack 4 which is totally dedicated to my Oracle EE RDBMS. I have two databases, one production and one development (I know this is bad but it will be getting moved soon honest). I also have my management server installed on there and the repository database that goes with it.

I'm not too experienced in DBA duties as I am not a totally dedicated DBA. Our Network Administrator has noticed that the server seems to be extremely memory usage intensive. It is running at 70% and he is worried about it and thinks that its wrong seen as it has 8Gb of memory.

I assume that the reason that this is happening is because when I installed the software and created the databases I chose the Oracle default to run the system at 70% physical memory. I didnt resize any of the initialisation parameters myself.

Do you think this is wrong?

Any logic advise that is used in sizing this yourself would be much appreciated.
Re: Initialisation Parameters in RDBMS Server 9204 [message #60374 is a reply to message #60373] Tue, 03 February 2004 14:11 Go to previous message
Thiru
Hi,
if that 70% includes the overall memory usage(SGA of all instances + PGAs of all instances + Oracle threads) then you may be fine as it still leaves 30% of 8GB ( 2.4GB) for Windows and other Server processes.
You need to be concerned if there is heavy paging/swapping and your performance is negatively affected.

Its a general practice to allocate as much as 50% of the physical memory for Oracle SGA and the rest for the dedicated servers and OS processes.

-Thiru
Previous Topic: mutliple databases in oracle9i on aix?
Next Topic: How to convince my bosses the time invest to move from Dictionary MT to Locally MT?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:27:26 CDT 2024