Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How to estimate/configure the size of a Temporary Tablespace?
How to estimate/configure the size of a Temporary Tablespace? [message #60233] Mon, 26 January 2004 22:31 Go to next message
Patrick Tahiri
I have several tips about it, but most of them must be executed or monitored when a peak/heavy transaction is occurring. How can I know that at a time T, a peak workload is occuring? I can't stay and wait see/monitor the unix and the oracle processes all the time (how about it happens at night time..)? How to catch and monitor the peak work load time and corresponding SQL batch/transaction? Is there not a way to log all this in one day and check easily when does the peak work load occurs and which kinf of SQL batch or transaction...??

Here are the tips I have gathered, but I can't wait until a peak work is occuring:

.Check V$SORT_SEGMENT/V$SORT_USAGE views in very peek times of your environment:

.V$SORT_SEGMENT will  show the size of total temp segment allocated in the temp TBS.  
.V$SORT_USAGE will show the total amount of temp space used by each active transaction.
 select username, tablespace, contents, blocks
 from v$sort_usage;

Through this valuable information u can decide how much temp space get used in very peek hours in ur env. and according
to that statistics u can set ur temp TSs accordingly.
Moreover by the use of V$SORT_USAGE view u can even know which transaction is using much temp space and u can take
appropriate steps against it.

Many thanks for your answers!

Regards,

Patrick Tahiri.
Re: How to estimate/configure the size of a Temporary Tablespace? [message #60242 is a reply to message #60233] Tue, 27 January 2004 03:05 Go to previous message
croca
What about statspack ?
it is a utility you can load into your db and you can start it whenever you want and stop it any time, i dont remember if it collects data related to temp files...but you can try
Previous Topic: How to prune Alert Log file & Background Trace Files? (UNIX system)
Next Topic: Database conversion needed if migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit Oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:43:55 CDT 2024