Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle database trying to open wrong data files
Oracle database trying to open wrong data files [message #60196] Thu, 22 January 2004 11:53 Go to next message
Fred Larkin
I installed an application 2 months ago for which the DBA created a separate Oracle 8.1.7 database, HARV,using the Database Configuration Assistant. There was already a database for another application, FSA. 2 days ago I installed a third application, and the DBA created a third database for it, MPC2. I then discovered that the second application wasn't starting, due to being unable to connect with its database, HARV.

I discovered that the installation of the third database had resulted in the Windows XP registry Oracle SID entry being changed to MPC2. I tried changing this to HARV, but found that the HARV database isn't starting correctly. The Alert log shows that the HARV database is trying to open the *.ora datafiles for the third application, not its own data file. As part of my troubleshooting, I used the Database Configuration Assistant to remove the third database, MPC2, and also removed the applications that were accessing it.

I cannot log in to the HARV database; I get Oracle initialization or shutdown errors. Is there some file I can change to correct this? Also, where can I find the DBWR trace file that is referenced in the DBW0 trace file?

By the way, the first application and database are working.

Thanks.
Re: Oracle database trying to open wrong data files [message #60211 is a reply to message #60196] Fri, 23 January 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Quote "The Alert log shows that the HARV database is trying to open the *.ora datafiles for the third application, not its own data file."

Note that the parameter file initHARV.ora identifies HARV's controlfiles(controlfiles parameter) which inturn identifies HARV's datafiles.

try to do this and let us know the results

set ORACLE_SID=HARV
sqlplus internal
shutdown abort;
startup pfile=[[full path of initHARV.ora]]

DBWR trace files should be in C(or wherver you installed):oracleadminHARVbdump

-Thiru
Re: Oracle database trying to open wrong data files [message #60212 is a reply to message #60211] Fri, 23 January 2004 10:42 Go to previous message
Fred Larkin
Since I posted the message, I have tried recreating the *.ora files the system is looking for and restarted the database. This resulted in the following appearing at the end of the Alert file:
alter database mount exclusive
Fri Jan 23 15:09:02 2004
CKPT: terminating instance due to error 220
Instance terminated by CKPT, pid = 3184

The CKPT.TRC file has the following:
error 220 detected in background process

This is what happens when I try to log in to sqlplus:
Enter user-name: system
Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced
Previous Topic: Migration from8i to 9i