Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Problem in connecting while Creating a Database
Problem in connecting while Creating a Database [message #60122] Fri, 16 January 2004 11:15 Go to next message
T. Sri Sai Krishna
Hi ,

I am trying to create a database manually using oracle 9i, on a windows 2000 machine. I have my init.ora and creation files ready. 

Using "oradim" i started a service for my new DB. I also set the SID and other variables. At command prompt I issued the command "sqlplus /NOLOG". I got to the sql prompt. Next I issued the command "connect / as sysdba" . I get this message.

ERROR:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

I don't have the admin login for the machine. Is it necessary to perform the above operation. If so, is there a way around this.

Could anyone help me with this.

Thanks , SriSai
Re: Problem in connecting while Creating a Database [message #60125 is a reply to message #60122] Fri, 16 January 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Knm Dibba
SriSai,
u could use the following construct:
"connect /@ORACLE_SID as sysdba"
Re: Problem in connecting while Creating a Database [message #60136 is a reply to message #60125] Sun, 18 January 2004 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T. Sri Sai Krishna
Hello Knm Dibba,

Thanks for your reply. I tried your sujestion. I got this error.

ERROR:
ORA-24314: service handle not initialized

So I went and checked the services under the control panel ->Administrative tools, the OracleServices for my db had been started. Still this error persists.

My logon is under the ORA_DBA & Adminstrators groups.

Do I have to start up any other services ?

Thanks,
SriSai
Re: Problem in connecting while Creating a Database [message #60164 is a reply to message #60136] Tue, 20 January 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
croca
Have you tried from DOS windows?:
C:>set oracle_sid=your-db-name
C:>svrmgrl (or sqlplus)
then connect AS SYSDBA
user internal/your-pwd
startup mount (or startup nomount...whatever)

Best luck
Re: Problem in connecting while Creating a Database [message #60174 is a reply to message #60164] Tue, 20 January 2004 18:04 Go to previous message
T. Sri Sai Krishna
I have set the env variables like ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_BASE & ORACLE_HOME on Dos. I've set these via the system properties -> Environment variables.

I can't use "Svrmgrl" & "Internal" since I'm using Oracle 9i.

"Sqlplus /Nolog" gets me to the Sql prompt. But not into the default user where i can run my DB creation script.

I can't understand why it says that the service handle has not been started , When its up and running ?
For another DB which is running everything works fine.

Could you throw some light on this ?

Thanks, Sai
Previous Topic: free space
Next Topic: Not able to connect to DB in Redhat Linux - intermittent wired problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:33:05 CDT 2024