Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Unable to Open Database
Unable to Open Database [message #60034] Mon, 12 January 2004 02:56 Go to next message
Vinny75
Folks,

I had to drop few tablespaces as part of a cleanup process on a Oracle 9.2 database. Its a sadbox environment to test new 9i installation. After dropping the tbs, the database refuses to open after normal shutdown. I get this error:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01157: cannot identify/lock data file 2 - see DBWR trace file
ORA-01110: data file 2: '/appl/oradata/dbadev/undo/undo01dbadev.dbf'

Looking at the log file I notice all the datafile are causing the same thing. What is the reselution on this? I do not have any backup on this yet coz its a sandbox to play with.

Thanks
Re: Unable to Open Database [message #60036 is a reply to message #60034] Mon, 12 January 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vinny75
This issue is resolved folks. I removed the reference of each of those files (Alter Database ...offline drop) after mounting the DB. I then opened the DB fine. Closed it clean and opened again.
Re: Unable to Open Database [message #60043 is a reply to message #60036] Mon, 12 January 2004 07:08 Go to previous message
Thiru
Hi,
Alter database datafile 'filename' offline drop;

doesnt get rid of the datafiles from the database.They will be marked with a status of 'RECOVER' or 'OFFLINE' . The only way to drop them completely is to drop the tablespaces cleanly.

If you are dropping UNDO tablespace,you should remove(modify) that reference from the init/spfile.ora

-Thiru
Previous Topic: lgwr bringing instance down
Next Topic: Time out error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:21:46 CDT 2024