Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Data not properly displayed in UTF8 Character Set
Data not properly displayed in UTF8 Character Set [message #59942] Mon, 05 January 2004 02:26 Go to next message
Shibaji Ghosh
Hello,

I am running an Oracle8i instance on Win2K server. My DBCharset and NCharset is "UTF8".

I have stored some Russian data in the database. When I am fetching data from the table in SQLPLUS and other tools (like PL/SQL Developer), the output is coming like '?' having upside down. I am also witnessing some other characters of this sort as the output. I am not getting the desired textual output.

Is there a way out by means of Characterset conversion or other possibilities to get the proper output. If so what is the Characterset ?

Thanks in advance.

Shibaji
Re: Data not properly displayed in UTF8 Character Set [message #59945 is a reply to message #59942] Mon, 05 January 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Did you try setting the NLS_LANG environmental variable to the Russian character set on your client side ?

-Thiru
Re: Data not properly displayed in UTF8 Character Set [message #59957 is a reply to message #59945] Mon, 05 January 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shibaji Ghosh
Thanks for the response.

I set the client NLS_LANG (changing the registry entry and restarting the client terminal) as RUSSIAN_CIS.CL8ISO8859P5 . This did'nt help my cause. The only update I had was the output which were previously coming as '?' (upside down) are now coming as '?'. I tried even changing the server NLS_LANG to the same value. No change.

Sample Output :

C?????
OPBEZADZE
YANKER
????????

I tried to insert the column data with those characters into a new coulmn of NVARCHAR type. I received "ORA-12704: character set mismatch" error.

Is there a way out by changing other NLS parameters. Or any other specific NLS_LANG environment values.

Please note data is already loaded in the UTF8 database. I am trying to select from SQLPLUS from a client terminal.

What next ??

Shibaji
Re: Data not properly displayed in UTF8 Character Set [message #59970 is a reply to message #59957] Tue, 06 January 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
For windows clients, try AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252

-Thiru
Re: Data not properly displayed in UTF8 Character Set [message #59973 is a reply to message #59970] Tue, 06 January 2004 18:30 Go to previous message
Shibaji Ghosh
Hello,

I tried that. Here is the sample output

C7
---------------
¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿
C¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿
C¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿
C¿¿¿¿¿¿¿
C¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿
C¿¿¿¿¿
OPBEZADZE
YANKER
¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

Do I need to have the server NLS_LANG changed to that value. I did'nt change that.

Any way out ??

Thanks again for the response.

Shibaji
Previous Topic: row trigger Vs statement trigger
Next Topic: ORA-00600:internal error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:41:38 CDT 2024