Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Can I create more than one DB at the same time?
Can I create more than one DB at the same time? [message #59915] Sat, 03 January 2004 13:41 Go to next message
scott
Im trying to create databases using scripts. Doing it one by one has been a success so far and also a waste of time. Is there anyway I could parallelize database creation using scripts.

If hardware matters I am running

Windows 2000 Server on a Pentium 600 with 786 MB of RAM
and Db version is 9.0.2
Thanks

Scott
Re: Can I create more than one DB at the same time? [message #59919 is a reply to message #59915] Sun, 04 January 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
never tried it.
ideally, oracle needs a lot of swap space during installation ( at least 3xRAM).
But database creation is more looking into allocation of sga. I dont know memory allocation concepts in windows.
In unix the regular kernel parameters are set high enough, it is possible.
But i dont see the need for this, Unless u are going to create many many databases every day.!!
and a 786 MB of RAM is definatly not a high resource.
if u are planning to run multiple high use databases 
in the same machine plan for something bigger.

Re: Can I create more than one DB at the same time? [message #59924 is a reply to message #59919] Sun, 04 January 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scott
Hello,
Just to give you all the outcome of my endeavour. It failed.Mid way through the process the entire system just shutdown for want of more memory. A SQL Server backup job was also running on the same machine.
This is my home machine and I decided to learn by experimentation.

My take on it. NEVER DO IT unless you have tonne of RAM and a very fast machine.

Thanks

Scott
Re: Can I create more than one DB at the same time? [message #59981 is a reply to message #59915] Wed, 07 January 2004 09:15 Go to previous message
Sanjay
I have installed Oracle and created a database with a P2 400 and half gig memory (home comp). But was a very small db.

So I don't know how big of a database you were creating and more important, how many.

Good luck.
Previous Topic: ORA-00600:internal error
Next Topic: Installation of 9.2.0.1.0
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:49:16 CDT 2024