Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » What does an UNKNOWN state mean
What does an UNKNOWN state mean [message #59869] Tue, 30 December 2003 10:58 Go to next message
scott
I ran
lsnrctl services and got a bunch of output. As is read through it listed all the databases in my server.
Some of them said READY status and others said UNKNOWN.
I shutdown the machine and restarted everything but its still the same.

I tried reading the Oracle Docs for this but may be I am looking at the wrong page. Can someone tell me where I can find the best info regarding this.

Thanks

Scott
Re: What does an UNKNOWN state mean [message #59870 is a reply to message #59869] Tue, 30 December 2003 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
An UNKNOWN status means that the instance is registered statically (with a SID_LIST) in the listener.ora file rather than dynamically with service registration.

You can either ignore it, or remove the SID_LIST from your listener.ora so that your instance registers with default listener running on port 1521 or specify a local listener in your pfile(or spfile) with the host,port,protocol information as follows :

alter system set Local_Listener="(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=yourhost)(port=1522))";

When you restart the instance,it should register with this listener .

Oracle infact doesnt recommend having SID_LIST in listener.ora (since 9i) becos it seems it causes additional overhead on listener process. I havent seen this(ie slowdown) practically,just passing on the information I heard.

-Thiru
Re: What does an UNKNOWN state mean [message #59873 is a reply to message #59870] Tue, 30 December 2003 19:37 Go to previous message
scott
Thanx much

PS: For some reason my browser is adding stuff wtice. Please ignore the lates posting

Thanks again

Scott
Previous Topic: free list
Next Topic: sored procerdure and function
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:49:44 CDT 2024