Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » question
question [message #59856] Tue, 30 December 2003 02:36 Go to next message
Bakhshesh
Dear Sir,
we are a medium level copmany in supply chain field.
we have an "Oracle Server 8i" in our company and we
have some programmer to develop our needs.(i'm one of them)
we use "form developer 6" to develop our programs. we have
our comoany's total system was developed and are develop
by our programmers.
it's a couple of days that our server work very bad and
extremely slow.
even with just 50 user's our application don't work correctly
and as fast as already.
we think a lot but we didn't reach any answers.
we don't install any new programs, any new tools,
any ... on our server. our users are the same users.
we usually have 1000 users that they use our global system
on our company's lan. our network, hardware and any thing
is the same as already. we don't know what was chamged!???
even yesterday we bought a new server and begin to
install windows as server and oracle 8i on it. then
we export our data on prior server to new server.
we built rable indexes again but still we have problem.
we tried any thing that you think, like virus checking
and ... but still we can't say that what is our problem.
we can switch to "Oracle 9i" but in this way, we loose
the time and we don't to do it.
if you can please help us.

bakhshesh@yahoo.com
Thank, Best Regards.
Re: question [message #59861 is a reply to message #59856] Tue, 30 December 2003 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
croK
It is pretty imposible to help, i think you need some kind of db tuning, that will take some time......
Try to learn how to use statspack, is a bunch of scripts provided by Oracle when you installed RDBMS.
Best luck.
Re: question [message #59867 is a reply to message #59856] Tue, 30 December 2003 10:52 Go to previous message
Thiru
Given that,there is not much of information for diagnosing the issue, you could try the following:

1. Investigate if any of your queries or anything that touches the database(application,cronjobs,dbms_jobs etc) changed ? Not only the code ,but the frequency of it.

2.Does the original database run on Unix platform? If yes , check top,vmstat,sar,iostat utilities to check your top cpu consumers,cpu,io,memory usage.

3. Check v$system_event for the top events that have waited( eg select * from v$system_event order by TOTAL_WAITS desc) . This will tell you what the instance has waited for , the most, since the instance startup.

4.Does it slowdown during specific parts of the day or is it slower all the time. If you can narrow down the time period, you can setup statspack to collect snapshot data every 10mintues or so and compare it with base line data when the database was functioning OK. That will tell you whats different during that 'slow' period of time.

5.If there are specific sessions that are experiencing this problem,you can query v$session_event,V$session_wait to find out what they are waiting for .

6.If its a particular app that has slowed down now,you can enable tracing for that session and analyze the trace file using TKPROF to find out whats going on (ie Parsing,Consistent gets(QUERY column),excessive disk reads(ie missing indexes may be ), lack of updated statistics for the CBO etc ..

All the best!
Thiru
Previous Topic: Problem with TNS
Next Topic: Stopping a listener that is password protected
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:41:09 CDT 2024