Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Recovery Question: A Tablespace has been dropped
Recovery Question: A Tablespace has been dropped [message #58949] Thu, 16 October 2003 22:13 Go to next message
Junior DBA
I am testing my backup and recovery strategy. The scenario is an index tablespace was dropped by accident. I can resotre and recover my database. However, I keep losing my temp tablespace after I open the database for service. I don't know if I miss something when I issue restore and recovery. Can anyone check my recover procedure.

Step 1: SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
Step 2: Check my alert log file
I found an index tablespace was dropped at 2003-10-17:11:02:53,
Step 3: Restore control and datafile from the closest backup.
Step 4: STARTUP MOUNT
Step 5: Recover Database
RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL TIME '2003-10-17:11:02:53' USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE;
Step 6: ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

Thank for your time and assistance.
Re: Recovery Question: A Tablespace has been dropped [message #58952 is a reply to message #58949] Fri, 17 October 2003 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
If only your Index tablespace was dropped, you dont have to restore your backup controlfile. It looks like you have created your temporary tablespace recently and hence your backup controlfile does not have this entry ? and is probably the reason you are not seeing your temp tablespace. You should have recovered using the current controlfile using recover tablespace or recover datafile.
You might have to recreate your temporary tablespace ( again what type of temp tablespace is this ? are you using tempfiles or normal datafiles ?) and then do a controlfile backup , which will act as your base for further recoveries..

-Thiru
Re: Recovery Question: A Tablespace has been dropped [message #58961 is a reply to message #58952] Fri, 17 October 2003 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ctg
because the tablespace was dropped, he did have to use a backup controlfile and do incomplete recovery.
Re: Recovery Question: A Tablespace has been dropped [message #58963 is a reply to message #58961] Sat, 18 October 2003 02:57 Go to previous message
Thiru
aaah right, I was working under the assumption that his index tablespace is corrupted/lost datafiles.. Overlook on my part.

-Thiru
Previous Topic: DBWR
Next Topic: tips/tricks for listener
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:42:40 CDT 2024