Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » recovering database
recovering database [message #58731] Sun, 28 September 2003 05:51 Go to next message
M. Khaled
I have only archivelog,controlfile and redologfile.I want to recover database from the above.As I know this is possible. I tried this installing new database using these file showing the location of control file.I can mount the database but couldnot recover from log file.some error is shown like system.dbf,undotbs1.dbf is required etc.I don't like to use offline backup from my original database where archiving is done.Please help.....
Re: recovering database [message #58737 is a reply to message #58731] Mon, 29 September 2003 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uwe
Hi,
if you've archivelogs you can backup your original Database online without bringing it down. There's no major impact during backing up that db online.
There are some possibilities to back up online with eg. tar commands.
Whats the reason for not backing up online now ?
regards
Uwe
Re: recovering database [message #58740 is a reply to message #58737] Mon, 29 September 2003 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M. Khaled
Dear,
I think, I couldnot make you understand what I want to say.I have Archivelog,control file and redolog file.The original database has been crashed,Nothing left even the filesystem what shall I do.But I can make another database as it was.In this situtation ,I want to recover database using the above file.can I do that.Please explain it clearly...........

Thanks....
Re: recovering database [message #58744 is a reply to message #58740] Mon, 29 September 2003 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uwe
I do not exactly know how to work if all datafiles are lost. I my opinion it is only possible if controlfiles or redologs are lost. But if tablespaces are damaged you need the backup of the tablespaces to recover. Only arcvhived logs are not enough.
That's what I think about this, but maybe someone has better infos about it
rgds
Uwe
Re: recovering database [message #58746 is a reply to message #58731] Mon, 29 September 2003 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
You say ' As I know this is possible' to recover a database WITHOUT ANY database files,but only with controlfile,archivelogs and redolog files !!

-- doesnt make sense, sorry.

What is a database without data files ?

You are able to mount becos you have the init.ora and the control file.Now your old controlfile has the metadata about the datafiles(system,undo etc) and when you perform a 'alter database open' , Oracle checks for the existence and consistency of 'those' datafiles listed in the controlfile. Since it couldnt find your original data files,it reports the error , as it should.

Why dont you like to use the offline backup that you made earlier ?

You CANNOT associate a brand new database to the old online or archived redolog files.

Hope this clarifies.
Thiru
Re: recovering database [message #58769 is a reply to message #58731] Mon, 29 September 2003 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dba2rescue
YES! it is possible to recover the database with only archvie log files, control file and online redo logs provided you have all the archive logs that were generated after creation of the database as well as the control file backup with the datafile name.

the syntax is :

SQL> startup mount
SQL> alter database create datafile '/users/abc.dbf' as '/users/abc.dbf';

create all the datafiles of your database in similar fashion.

SQL> recover database;

Regards,
DBA2RESCUE
Re: recovering database [message #58771 is a reply to message #58731] Mon, 29 September 2003 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dba2rescue
further to my reply earlier, pls note that you need to have atleast backup of system tablespace, as system tablespace datafiles cannot be recovered in this fashion.

Regards,
DBA2RESCUE
Re: recovering database [message #58778 is a reply to message #58771] Tue, 30 September 2003 05:45 Go to previous message
Thiru
thats why I said , 'it doesnt make sense' . He said he doesnt want to make use of ANY datafile backup he had made earlier,but to recover the WHOLE database just with the archivelogs,redologs and controlfile.

-Thiru
Previous Topic: multi lingual DB configuration
Next Topic: Change the Auth Method?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:29:30 CDT 2024