Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Need your advices
Need your advices [message #58584] Thu, 18 September 2003 17:08 Go to next message
sidd
Moving a schema from Dev to Prod, after moving what should are good things run. like statistics....
the schema got functions, stored procs, tables, indexes. and thats it. so what are good things to run..
Re: Need your advices [message #58585 is a reply to message #58584] Thu, 18 September 2003 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Good things to run on a production ? There are many,but I'll mention some briefly :

i)Estimate statistics using dbms_stats/dbms_job periodically.
ii)Pinning Large/Frequently used packages was essential before Large Pool came into picture.Since Shared pool uses LRU,you are ensured that the frequently used packages stay in memory and not just hog memory when you pin everything. You make the choice.
iii)Run jobs for monitoring chained rows
iv) Do you Locally Managed tablespaces ? If not,run jobs to monitor extent usage..(ie you dont want objects running into 1000s and 1000s of extents)
v) Run job to keep an eye on objects nearing MAXEXTENTS and tablespace freespace and notify your DBA
vi) Run some sort of corruption checking jobs ( Exports ,RMan etc)

These are in addition to the regular system/DB monitoring jobs such as alert.log,load,filesystem monitoring,backups etc etc..

hope this helps
Thiru
Re: Need your advices [message #58586 is a reply to message #58585] Thu, 18 September 2003 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sidd
Hi Thiru,
can you pelase provide or give me an hint where can i find the script or documentation for monitoring chained rows.
i am sure there would be some chained rows in that schema. i'd appreciate if u can give me an eg to find chained rows.
Thank you.
Re: Need your advices [message #58589 is a reply to message #58586] Fri, 19 September 2003 02:55 Go to previous message
Thiru
Basically, you analyze your schema to update the statistics regularly and look for CHAIN_CNT column value.. something like

Select owner,table_name,num_rows,chain_cnt,pct_free,pct_used,avg_row_len from dba_tables;

For a specific table, you could also
ANALYZE Table table_name LIST CHAINED ROWS INTO CHAINED_ROWS;
You should have created the CHAINED_ROWS table in your schema by running $ORACLE_HOME/admin/utlchain.sql script before that.

Also lookout for the statistic 'table fetch continued row' in statspack reports.

Hth
Thiru
Previous Topic: Oracle10g
Next Topic: CREATING TWO OR MORE ORACLE UNIX IDs IN ONE MACHINE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:54:51 CDT 2024