Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle database/instance question
Oracle database/instance question [message #58332] Thu, 14 August 2003 14:02 Go to next message
Deepak
Hi,

I have the following question about an oracle instance and a database.

I created an oracle instance ("test") using oradim and then created an oracle database ("test") in that instance. I then deleted the "test" instance using oradim and created a new instance with the same name ("test"). When I now login with "/ as sysdba" command in command prompt, I get the insufficient privileges error. I did not get this error before. However, If I login by typing sqlplus and then enter sys as sydba for the username and then the appropriate password (which set using oradim the second time), I am able to login to an idle instance. Then when I attempt to startup the test database, I get the insufficient privileges error again. Is this due to deleting the instance in which the database was originally created. I am totally lost. My OS is windows XP and oracle 9i standard edition software only installation. Thanks for any insights and explainations.

Regards
Deepak
Re: Oracle database/instance question [message #58337 is a reply to message #58332] Fri, 15 August 2003 12:42 Go to previous message
ctg
First, what you are creating with the ORADIM utility is not an Instance. The ORADIM utility creates a Windows Service and MAY create the password file. An INSTANCE is simple memory allocated and background processes. In a Windows environment you must have a Windows Service (created through ORADIM) for each INSTANCE allocated.

Do you know if you are using a password file? (REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORD=shared/exclusive)

Delete the password file from ORACLE_HOMEDatabase directory. Then recreate it (either delete the service and recreate with ORADIM, or use the orapwd utility). And try again. What has happened to me in the past on Win2K is that when you delete the service with the oradim utility, it does NOT remove the password file. And then recreating the service, the password file already exist so it seems to do nothing to it.

I have not done this on XP, so I am assuming it is the same (I have done it on NT and 2000).

Hope this helps..
Previous Topic: Playing ping pong with ORA-01033
Next Topic: pfile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:32:37 CDT 2024