Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Rollback Segment sizing
Rollback Segment sizing [message #58280] Tue, 12 August 2003 03:08 Go to next message
Mike
Hi,

I find that there are lots of Shrinks and wraps in my rollback segment.How do I go about sizing the rollback segments so that these can be avoided?

TIA

Mike
Re: Rollback Segment sizing [message #58292 is a reply to message #58280] Tue, 12 August 2003 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shesha
Sizing rollback segments is not a one time process...
You have to keep on changing the parameters based on ur requirements and performance..
try to keep a bigger RBS for bigger transaction and for other transactions keep the normal one.
You have to keep on shrinking the RBS manually by
Alter Rollback segment rbs1 shrink;
don't forget to use optimal parameter.
Re: Rollback Segment sizing [message #58295 is a reply to message #58292] Wed, 13 August 2003 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.The rule of thumb says one can start off sizing the RBS with about 10% of the size of the largets table.Supose the size of my largest table is 300 MB what would be the initial,next and optimal size of my Rollback Segment?

TIA
Mike
Re: Rollback Segment sizing [message #58301 is a reply to message #58295] Wed, 13 August 2003 07:18 Go to previous message
shesha
Let us say rbs size-10% of 300mb i.e 30mb.

Each rollback segment’s total allocated space should be divided among many equally sized extents.
In general, optimal rollback I/O performance is observed if each rollback segment for an instance has 10 to 20 equally sized extents

Let us say we will have around 20 equally sized extents.

Use the following formulla to calculate the storage parameters

S = T / N
S=30/20
S=1.5 mb

where:
S = calculated size of each extent initially allocated
T = total initial rollback segment size (30 MB)
N = number of extents initially allocated (20)

Keep INITIAL and NEXT value equal to S ie 1.5 MB
Keep MINEXTENTS value to N i.e 20
No PCTINCREASE i.e 0

If the size S of an extent is not an exact multiple of the data block size, it is rounded up to the next multiple

You should carefully assess the kind of transactions the system runs when setting
the OPTIMAL parameter for each rollback segment. For a system that executes
long-running transactions frequently, OPTIMAL should be large so that Oracle does
not have to shrink and allocate extents frequently. Also, for a system that executes
long queries on active data, OPTIMAL should be large to avoid "snapshot too old"
errors. OPTIMAL should be smaller for a system that mainly executes short
transactions and queries so that the rollback segments remain small enough to be
cached in memory, thus improving system performance.
Previous Topic: large objects
Next Topic: service name
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:35:55 CDT 2024