Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Dropping a datafile from a controlfile
Dropping a datafile from a controlfile [message #58253] Sun, 10 August 2003 21:01 Go to next message
Ricardo
Hi there,

I have been doing a disaster recovery on a database. We have been using a controlfile from 3rd August. The database needs to be restored up until 27th July, and this has now been done.

However, there is an issue with one datafile. On 31st July a new datafile was created. This datafile was not backed up and hence, not restored. This does not present a problem as the database has been restored and recovered up until 27th July (as which time this datafile did not exist). However the control file, being from a later date, expects this datafile.

select * from v$datafile; -- shows that this datafile exists (file# 64), with a status of RECOVER

We have tried dropping this datafile and it no longer exists physically and does not appear when you....

select * from v$backup;

*Is there anyway I can drop this datafile from the controlfile? / Stop oracle looking for it?
*I have backups of the controlfiles from an earlier date, however is there going to be an issue with using these as we have since done a recover on the database (applying the archive logs)? Is the recovery information going to be stored in these controlfiles? (therefore applying early control files may invalidate the recovery already done).

Recovering up until the current date isn't really an option as the database is 300GB in size and the archive logs are huge accordingly.

Thanks for your help.
Re: Dropping a datafile from a controlfile [message #58279 is a reply to message #58253] Tue, 12 August 2003 03:01 Go to previous message
ora9iDBA
There is one way. But I dont know whether it will work fine or not .... Lets Try

Backup your control file
Backup controlfile to <--->

then edit that backed up file then remove the entry of your datafile which is not physically exists.

then
create control from backup

I think this will work
Previous Topic: Output's File Path using XSU!
Next Topic: The problem is with lsnrctl START LISTENER
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:39:58 CDT 2024