Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Merge using rownum (12.1.0.1 )
Merge using rownum [message #687949] Mon, 31 July 2023 03:25 Go to next message
OraFerro
Hi All,

I have the following case:
create table test_main 
  (
    id number primary key,
    ag_num number,
    mdate date ,
    value number
  );

create table test_log
  (
    fk_ag_num number,
    ldate date, 
    value number, 
    fk_id number
  );

insert all 
insert all 
  into test_main(id, ag_num, mdate, value) values (10, 50, trunc(sysdate), -15.5)
  into test_main(id, ag_num, mdate, value) values (22, 50, trunc(sysdate), -15.5)
  into test_main(id, ag_num, mdate, value) values (13, 60, trunc(sysdate), -115.5)
  into test_main(id, ag_num, mdate, value) values (400, 60, trunc(sysdate), -115.5)
  into test_main(id, ag_num, mdate, value) values (51, 90, trunc(sysdate), -215.5)
  into test_main(id, ag_num, mdate, value) values (16, 90, trunc(sysdate), -215.5)

into TEST_LOG(FK_AG_NUM, ldate, VALUE) values (50, trunc(sysdate), -15.5)
  into TEST_LOG(FK_AG_NUM, ldate, VALUE) values (60, trunc(sysdate), -115.5)
  into TEST_LOG(FK_AG_NUM, ldate, VALUE) values (90, trunc(sysdate), -215.5)
select * from dual;   

select * from dual;      

What I need to do is to update fk_id in test_log table from test_main. Due to duplication, I need the first item to be linked with its first matching peer such as:

select rownum ord, due.* from test_main due where mdate = trunc(sysdate) and  value < 0 order by due.ag_num;

select rownum ord, trn.* from TEST_LOG trn where trn.ldate = trunc(sysdate) and value < 0 order by trn.FK_AG_NUM;

MERGE INTO (select rownum ord, trn.* from TEST_LOG trn where trn.ldate = trunc(sysdate) and value < 0 order by trn.FK_AG_NUM) e
            USING (
                    select rownum ord, due.* from test_main due where mdate = trunc(sysdate) and  value < 0 order by due.ag_num
                  ) h
            ON (e.FK_AG_NUM = h.ag_num and e.ldate = h.mdate and e.value = h.value and e.ord = h.ord)
          WHEN MATCHED THEN
            UPDATE SET e.fk_id = h.id
          ;

Unfortunately my idea did not work as I get: 1 ORA-01446: cannot select ROWID from, or sample, a view with DISTINCT, GROUP BY, etc.

I also tried normal update but I failed as I still had to add the additional row to match each record from the log table to its peer in order in the main table.

Please provide your support
Thanks,
Ferro

Re: Merge using rownum [message #687950 is a reply to message #687949] Mon, 31 July 2023 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mathguy
It seems you are assuming that the rows in TEST_LOG will have corresponding matches in TEST_MAIN (same number of rows for each AG_NUM in the two tables, with the same values, etc.) - I will make the same assumption below.

In the join conditions you shouldn't have to test for LDATE = MDATE - you already filtered for both to equal TRUNC(SYSDATE), so they must be equal already.

Other than that, you need to perform the join in the SRC view (the USING clause), and use ROWID in TEST_LOG in the TGT view (the INTO clause) to match rows in the table to rows in the result of the join. Like this:

merge
  into (
      select rowid as rid, fk_id
      from   test_log
      where  ldate = trunc(sysdate) and value < 0
    ) tgt
  using (
      with
        m (id, ag_num, mdate, value, ord) as (
          select tm.*, rownum
          from   test_main tm
          where  mdate = trunc(sysdate) and value < 0
          order  by ag_num
        )
      , l (rid, fk_ag_num, ldate, value, fk_id, ord) as (
          select tl.rowid, tl.*, rownum
          from   test_log tl
          where  ldate = trunc(sysdate) and value < 0
          order  by fk_ag_num
        )
      select l.rid as rid, m.id as id
      from   m join l on l.fk_ag_num = m.ag_num and l.value = m.value and l.ord = m.ord
    ) src
  on (tgt.rid = src.rid)
when matched then update set tgt.fk_id = src.id
;
Re: Merge using rownum [message #687959 is a reply to message #687950] Tue, 01 August 2023 05:18 Go to previous message
OraFerro
Dear mathguy,

Thanks a lot for your help.

Quote:

In the join conditions you shouldn't have to test for LDATE = MDATE - you already filtered for both to equal TRUNC(SYSDATE), so they must be equal already.
Right you are, it was extra from previous trials.

Quote:

Other than that, you need to perform the join in the SRC view (the USING clause), and use ROWID in TEST_LOG in the TGT view (the INTO clause) to match rows in the table to rows in the result of the join.
Thanks a lot.

Ferro
Previous Topic: Display 3rd highest salary (join)
Next Topic: How to Delimit the Large comma separated string - Oracle Procedure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 10:10:13 CDT 2024