Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » "KILLED" Oracle session remaining as zombies?
"KILLED" Oracle session remaining as zombies? [message #57617] Thu, 26 June 2003 01:51 Go to next message
Xenofon Grigoriadis
Hi there,

I use the T.O.A.D. to develop PL/SQL. Now I am confronted with the following peculiarity.

I use the feature "kill/trace session" to kill an oracle-session. But after I did that the oracle session can still be viewed, only that it has the status "KILLED". But why is it not beeing removed. This session overview of the TOAD is based on the V$SESSION view. If you look at it, the session is still there and it seems the session is still performing some work.

Can you explain to me, what really happens?

Thanks in advance,

Xenofon Grigoriadis
Re: "KILLED" Oracle session remaining as zombies? [message #57625 is a reply to message #57617] Thu, 26 June 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
A session remains "marked to kill" until Oracle can liberate all used resources of this session. This can take some time. It is not unusual and it shouldn't pose any problem towards your server performance.

MHE
Re: "KILLED" Oracle session remaining as zombies? [message #57651 is a reply to message #57625] Fri, 27 June 2003 03:44 Go to previous message
psmyth
I see this on solaris servers quite often... if you 'kill immediate', you will see the session marked as 'killed', but the underlying unix processes are still existent and potentially still using system resources.

I agree that it is normal for the sessions to be marked as 'killed' and visible for a while as uncommitted changes are rolled back etc, but it is possible that the processes will not be stopped automatically.

Best to identify all the processes connected with the session you are killing (from v$session, v$process as well as 'ps -ef') before you kill it... then you have some chance of clearing them all down.
Previous Topic: ORA-12545
Next Topic: generating installation scripts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:55:48 CDT 2024