Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Help from OCP's
Help from OCP's [message #57616] Thu, 26 June 2003 01:38 Go to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Hi all,
This question is only from OCP's!!!!
I want to pursue OCP. I want to know whether it will be worth to join any Oracle authorised institute conducting the OCP course.
In my office I have all resources (like Oracle 8i Enterprise with SCO Unix server) to learn except any guide. I am a beginner as Oracle DBA.
So, plss. let me know whether institutes r really helpful in terms of guidance & availing discount voucher.
The course fee for OCP is too much & after that 4 papers. I also want to know if I can get discount vouchers & OCP papers from any source other than these institutes.
Is self study & own practice is sufficient for prep. of OCP ???

Pls. help & guide me.

TIA,
Sachin Kumar Gupta, gupta_sac@yahoo.com
Re: Help from OCP's [message #57627 is a reply to message #57616] Thu, 26 June 2003 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
it depends on the individual.
I am not an OCP. Over the span of years,
i have cleard 3 papers in oracle 8,
3 in 8i and one in 9i and i lost intrest in these.

I never took any training.

But i ve been an oracle docs junkie right from the first day i started to work with oracle.
OCP is much simpler now, if you can get hold of those student guides. questions 'seem' to be appearing exactly from those books.

regarding the discount, ther would be some promotional code appearing inthe OCP website of oracle ( code used to be OTN20) or different one in oracle partner network
. if u mention these while u are registering u get a 25% off ( th OPN code get us 35% off).~

Re: Help from OCP's [message #57631 is a reply to message #57627] Thu, 26 June 2003 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Thanx a lot Mahesh!!! But can u plz. let me know whether this OPN Code gives discount for all the 4 papers of OCP ?? & also can i use some other's company PIN no. to get register for OTN partner, 'coz my company don't have any PIN no. of OTN.
If it's possible can u plss. let me know any PIN no. & respective Company, so that I can get OPN code any how & avail 35 % discount.

TIA,
Sachin
Re: Help from OCP's [message #57633 is a reply to message #57631] Thu, 26 June 2003 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
the disccount is for every test you take.
You have to mention it everytime.
OTN membership is free and so is OTN promotional code.
and 
OPN pin is something proprietary to the company.
so, I cant get u the pin..

Mahesh Rajendran

Re: Help from OCP's [message #57642 is a reply to message #57627] Thu, 26 June 2003 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay
My case is also like Mahesh.

Over the span of years, I have completed 4 papers (all on 8). Thinking of taking the 5th and upgrade for 8i (mix match) and then eventually 9i upgrade. Slowly loosing interest and things are keeping me busy at work (upgrade to 9i) and home with family. Now the new project is to make Oracle work with the OS upgrade (new install of Oracle).

I heard that with the 9i OCP, they have made it manadatory to take classes. Cannot confirm that. OCP is definitely a nice thing to have, but I would say, experience is definitely more valuable.

Read that over the last 2-3 years of slow economy, A LOT of people have been out of job and decided it was a good time to get certified.

One thing for sure is that, no matter what book you use, the questions are based on the Instructor Led Tutor (ILT) Oracle classes. So getting hold of these books is far more valuable than any book you can get in the market.

Good luck.
Re: Help from OCP's [message #57646 is a reply to message #57633] Fri, 27 June 2003 00:06 Go to previous message
sachin kumar gupta
Thax a lot for so valuable info.

Sachin
Previous Topic: Cross dtabase migration
Next Topic: VERY URGENT! SYSDBA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:32:50 CDT 2024