Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Tablespace not listed in dba_free_space
Tablespace not listed in dba_free_space [message #57571] Mon, 23 June 2003 14:01 Go to next message
Bubba
I have a dictionary managed tablespace in my database. When I perform a query against the dba_free_space view, my tablespace is not listed. I am in the process of running a deletion script against the only table that lives in this tablespace. The table has over 90 million records and I am issuing commits after every 5000 or so deletions. Any ideas on why this tablespace is not listed in the dba_free_space view?
Re: Tablespace not listed in dba_free_space [message #57572 is a reply to message #57571] Mon, 23 June 2003 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bubba
OK, so the reason I didn't see the tablespace is because it is "FULL". So my question has changed...now that I am deleting rows...and committing those deletions...why am I not able to see the modification to the dba_free_space. Obviously, I have some free space...I did the math:

select sum(a.bytes) - sum(b.bytes)
from dba_segments a, dba_data_files b
where a.tablespace_name=b.tablespace_name
and a.tablespace_name='&TBS';
Re: Tablespace not listed in dba_free_space [message #57573 is a reply to message #57572] Tue, 24 June 2003 05:43 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
deleting the rows from the table will not reset the highwater mark.
You have to truncate the table.
Since truncation is not possible in all cases there are workarounds.
1. Move the table to the same tablespace as it is.
   this will reset the exetents.
   alter table table_name move tablespace < same_as_before >;
or
2. T1 is the source table.
   delete from T1 where .. conditons ..
   creat table t2 as select * from t1;
   truncate table t1;
   insert into t1 ( select * from t2);
 if everything is OK, then   
   drop table t2;

Previous Topic: My Sessions are frequently terminated
Next Topic: interesting, for UNIX GUYS