Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Transfer the database to new location.
Transfer the database to new location. [message #56780] Thu, 24 April 2003 07:03 Go to next message
MeenaMukesh
Hi!
I have a database installed on one server and its working. Now a new server has been purchased and the database has to be transferred onto the new server.What is the best way to transfer my database onto the new server? If i install oracle server s/w 9i release2 onto the new server and create the datafiles manually and then import the whole data from the last backup i.e. from the exported dmp file, will that work properly? If not then suggest me the best way to accomplish the task.
Re: Transfer the database to new location. [message #56782 is a reply to message #56780] Thu, 24 April 2003 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swang
If they are on the same platform, simply shutdown the original database, copy files over, then recreate the controlfile.
Re: Transfer the database to new location. [message #56783 is a reply to message #56780] Thu, 24 April 2003 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
you can do a cold copy copy transfer ( as swang has said) or do an export/import
Re: Transfer the database to new location. [message #56789 is a reply to message #56782] Thu, 24 April 2003 22:51 Go to previous message
MeenaMukesh
The platforms are different. Earlier the database was running on WinNT now it has to run on Windows2000. What does this recreation of controlfile means and how to recreate the controlfile?
rgds
friend
Previous Topic: about all_ind_columns performance
Next Topic: IP addressing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 03:23:25 CDT 2024