Home » Other » Community Hangout » Naval Medical Center San Diego
Naval Medical Center San Diego [message #647321] Tue, 26 January 2016 12:05 Go to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Any local news about the shooter in Naval Medical Center in San Diego?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/01/26/report-of-active-shooter-at-navy-medical-center-in-san-diego/

Re: Naval Medical Center San Diego [message #647322 is a reply to message #647321] Tue, 26 January 2016 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I have had the news on television for about the last 3 hours. The only thing I heard was that there was an active shooter and that everyone was advised to run, hide, or fight. I have not heard anything since. Usually, when there is an active shooter somewhere, all stations are showing nothing but that live. If I hear anything more, I will respond in this thread. However, my area is schedule for planned maintenance power outage off and on all day, so I may not have power for television shortly and I have limited battery backup for laptop and internet.
Re: Naval Medical Center San Diego [message #647324 is a reply to message #647322] Tue, 26 January 2016 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Will wait until you'll come back.

I'm quite surprised about this power outage, above all a planned one.
The only time this happened to me was when they buried the power lines and this was just the time to cut off the old line and activate the new one, that is a couple of minutes.
Otherwise there were some unplanned outages due to old fuse boxes (which leads to change the line).

[Updated on: Tue, 26 January 2016 13:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Naval Medical Center San Diego [message #647329 is a reply to message #647324] Tue, 26 January 2016 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Planned and unplanned power outages are frequent around here.

We frequently get very strong winds. Every time we get strong winds, they either blow down power poles or lines directly or blow trees and thing onto the power lines that knock them down or blow things onto power lines that short them out. So, during every windstorm, there are multiple outages. They give priority to the ones that affect the most customers. The last time we had a big windstorm in December, the power was out in my neighborhood for 19 hours.

I received a notice in the mail that there would be a planned maintenance outage all day January 7, but it never happened. Then I received a new message saying that the maintenance that was originally scheduled for January 7 has been reschedule for today, January 26. What they do is plan to do maintenance to various places in the neighborhood, shutting power off and on. They don't know what time your area will be or how long it will take, so they give the broadest range of 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. So, far today, the power has not gone out yet. However, we are having heavy winds again. So, they may be responding to new outages and have to postpone the maintenance again, just like last time.

Every time they provide advance notice of a planned power outage, I try to plan around it as best I can. I try to make sure that I don't plan to be doing something that requires electricity that cannot be interrupted without causing problems. So, I had hot apple cinnamon oatmeal and hot chocolate prepared in the microwave before 7:30 a.m. and made sure that I don't have perishable items in the refrigerator. In the meanwhile, I have bread and peanut butter and jelly and potato chips and fruit and pudding and things that I can eat that do not require cooking using the microwave or toaster oven. I will plan to shop for fresh groceries and restock the refrigerator tomorrow.

The weather causes other things to be postponed as well. In December, I hired a company to put a new roof on my house. They were scheduled to start January 25, but due to weather postponing the jobs ahead of mine, it has been rescheduled to start February 2, but that may get postponed again. In the meanwhile, I had a company put tarps all over my roof back in December, but every time the wind blows it tears them. I told the company doing the re-roofing to bring a generator with them, as I cannot guarantee that I will have any electricity for them to plug in to power their equipment.

Re: Naval Medical Center San Diego [message #647330 is a reply to message #647329] Tue, 26 January 2016 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
CBS news just began the 11 a.m. television broadcast with the situation in San Diego. They showed people being evacuated, holding their hands high in the air over their heads, walking in a single file line, some in military uniforms, since it is a military base. They said that they have found no evidence of a shooter or victims so far, but are still checking.
Re: Naval Medical Center San Diego [message #647331 is a reply to message #647330] Tue, 26 January 2016 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Still no more news about San Diego on television.

I checked Southern California Edison's website regarding the planned power outage and got,
Quote:

"Maintenance Power Outage Postponed

Due to certain conditions, your scheduled maintenance outage has been postponed. We are working on scheduling a new start and end time.

Please check back at a later time for your new scheduled time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

So, it looks like I will have to go through another round of planning for an outage again.

Re: Naval Medical Center San Diego [message #647332 is a reply to message #647331] Tue, 26 January 2016 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Where I live now (in picture-postcard rural England) power is reliable. I lived in South Africa for many years, for six years on a 1 hectare plot about half way between Johannesburg and Pretoria. Very rural! The power problem was awful because the cables, swinging from poles for many kilometers, were stolen. Repeatedly. The villains throw a wire over the cables so that the power gets shorted to ground. That makes the switches on the distributor boxes jump so they can cut down the cables safely and sell them to scrap metal dealers. The only time we had reliable power was when the distributor boxes were fitted with more intelligent switches: they jump open, and then a few minutes later close again. This is meant to fix short term problems. Well, it certainly fixed the theft problem: the power would come back on while the villains were busy. But it seems that the electricity maintenance men became very upset at the number of corpses they were having to deal with, so the switches were reset so that they stayed open. I have to say that I did not agree with this.
Re: Naval Medical Center San Diego [message #647333 is a reply to message #647332] Tue, 26 January 2016 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
NBC news at noon just repeated mostly the same thing as CBS news at 11. NBC added that the facility is still under lockdown and people are being told to shelter in place and they are conducting a second search. Still no evidence of shooter or victims.

It makes you wonder if somebody mistook something for gunshots or if somebody had an accidental discharge or what's going on.

Re: Naval Medical Center San Diego [message #647344 is a reply to message #647333] Tue, 26 January 2016 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
The KTLA 6 p.m. news says that an unidentified employee reported hearing 3 gunshots coming from the basement of a building that is a combination barracks and gym. They said that an extensive search found no evidence of any shooter or any victims. It sounds like they think maybe there wasn't any shooting. I can't tell if they think it was a hoax or somebody heard something they thought was gunshots but wasn't or if there may have been shots fired but it is unknown who shot at who or what. It sounds they may never know for sure and we may never know.
Re: Naval Medical Center San Diego [message #647346 is a reply to message #647344] Tue, 26 January 2016 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
KDOC news at 7 p.m. is now reporting that the lockdown has been lifted and calling it a false alarm.
Re: Naval Medical Center San Diego [message #647355 is a reply to message #647346] Wed, 27 January 2016 01:44 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Thanks for the information, at least a good end, even if it was a hoax.

Previous Topic: HrOUG 2015
Next Topic: What NEW did you learn today in Orafaq
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:47:59 CDT 2024