Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Using links to fix a problem
Using links to fix a problem [message #54187] Sun, 03 November 2002 10:07 Go to next message
Travis Paakki
Could anyone tell me if this is possible, and if so how one would go about it? I have an application that requires Oracle 7.3.4 (a compiled exe that checks the Oracle version number on startup). It's gotten big and slow. What I was thinking about doing is having my old box run 7.3.4 and a newer one run 9 and link the tables across to it so I could partition them, etc to gain some performance. I'd link the two boxes with gigabit cat5 or fiber.

Is this doable? How do I set up links? How do links work with indexes? Are the indexes kept on the local instance?(!) Any info anyone may have on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Using links to fix a problem [message #54200 is a reply to message #54187] Mon, 04 November 2002 12:28 Go to previous message
andrew again
Not advisable - but you can create your own synonym to fool the app. You need to find the sql statement in v$sqlarea (or similar view) to see what query the app is issuing.
Say this is the query:
select name, value from sys.v_$parameter where name = 'compatible';
compatible 7.3.4

create or replace view scott.my_v$parameter as (select 'compatible' name, '7.3.4' value from dual);

create synonym scott.v$parameter for scott.my_v$parameter;

select * from v$parameter;
compatible 7.3.4

drop synonym scott.V$PARAMETER;

drop view scott.my_v$parameter;

Also not advisable, but if it's a Unix executable, try ftp to PC and then edit using a binary editor (most programming editors should have binary mode)look for '7.3.4' and change to '8.1.7' or whatever. You probably need to keep the string the same length though. I've done this successfully before.

I'd be interested to hear if either of these work for you.
Previous Topic: Index file full
Next Topic: ORA-12514
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 16:49:11 CDT 2024