Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How to access an Oracle database from a client computer?
How to access an Oracle database from a client computer? [message #54167] Fri, 01 November 2002 05:26 Go to next message
Utpal Nandi
Hi everybody,
Suppose there is an Oracle database installed on a Windows NT Server computer. To access the database from a client computer, would Oracle have to be installed on the client computer, or it could be accessed even without installing it?
Re: How to access an Oracle database from a client computer? [message #54169 is a reply to message #54167] Fri, 01 November 2002 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
you need to installl oracle client compoennts in the client machine.
configure ur tnsnames.ora ( or net8 easy config assitent, GUI tool )to connect to the server database.
Re: How to access an Oracle database from a client computer? [message #54179 is a reply to message #54167] Fri, 01 November 2002 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sai sreenivas jeedigunta
It depends on your need...I mean if u want to Query the data through SQL , yes u need a Client Software (atleast) to be installed in the Client PC ..Other wise Softwares like Visual basic can also be used to create Database Driven applications..

sai
Re: How to access an Oracle database from a client computer? [message #54182 is a reply to message #54167] Fri, 01 November 2002 21:42 Go to previous message
Utpal Nandi
Thanks a lot Sai ! Could I access an Oracle database using ADO from the client, without installing the Client software, e.g. could I open an ADO recordset on a table? Basically, I would like to install the database and application on the NT Server and run the application from the client, without installing the client software. Is that possible?
Previous Topic: Help Me! Oracle8i silent installation error message
Next Topic: Seed Data
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 17:02:23 CDT 2024