Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Performance Issue With Triggers on 9.2.0.1
Performance Issue With Triggers on 9.2.0.1 [message #53754] Wed, 09 October 2002 11:20 Go to next message
Glen
Has anyone run into performance issues with triggers on the 9.2.0.1 version of Oracle on NT?

I'm running a prototype that performs the steps below.

-insert rows into table
-trigger fires and calls stored procedure
-stored procedure performs the following options
--opens a cursor with DBMS_SQL
--counts the rows that were inserted into the table
that the trigger is on
--updates another table with rows counted
--deletes the rows
--closes the cursor opened by DBMS_SQL.

The performance degradation is compared to the 9.0.1.3 SID on the same machine. Tests were run on both SIDs. The init.ora files are nearly identical. Both SIDs have the same stored procedure and trigger definition. Data is being loaded via SQL*LOADER. Both SIDs are being loaded with the same control and data files.

Does anyone know tuning parameters in the init.ora file (or anything else) that would affect the performance of triggers on 9.2.0.1?
Re: Performance Issue With Triggers on 9.2.0.1 [message #53782 is a reply to message #53754] Thu, 10 October 2002 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
I'd do a tkprof on a trace file to see if it's simply the SQL. Have you analyzed the tables involved on both database?
You can set sql_tare=true in a login trigger. You also want timed_statistics=true if it doen't default to true.
Re: Performance Issue With Triggers on 9.2.0.1 [message #53784 is a reply to message #53754] Thu, 10 October 2002 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
Is it the same control file? Does the trigger only fire once for the whole sqlload?
Re: Performance Issue With Triggers on 9.2.0.1 [message #53794 is a reply to message #53784] Fri, 11 October 2002 05:28 Go to previous message
Glen
Same control file. Trigger fires approximately 200 times.

I'm beginning to think that the issue is a result of the Delete statement in the stored procedure.

The scenario is that the stored procedure being called from the trigger can't use truncate because of transactional issues. Multiple invocations of the stored procedure can exist simultaneously, each can see records populated by a different connection. Truncate will blow away all rows inserted, regardless of transaction. So, I can't use truncate.

Anyone know initialization parameters to tune for the DELETE statement?
Previous Topic: How to plot a graph on an oracle table
Next Topic: self_contained.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 16:33:29 CDT 2024