Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » temporary tablespace size
temporary tablespace size [message #52632] Thu, 01 August 2002 22:42 Go to next message
Saravana Kumar
size of my temporary tablespace has suddenly shot upto 4 GB. we have very less space in Server now. How can I reduce the datafile size of temporary tablespace?

Oracle Enterprise manager gives some option to directly change the size. but the database is online, and i dont want to do R&D on that.

I am using Oracle 9i Enterprise server with NT Service Pack 6.

Please help.
Re: temporary tablespace size [message #52634 is a reply to message #52632] Fri, 02 August 2002 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
apart from setting an optimum pctincrease ( 0 or nonzero) you can try to force SMON to do some clean up.
1. login to sqlplus as internal /sys
2. alter session set events 'immediate trace name DROP_SEGMENTS level TS#+1';

3. To find the tablespace number run the following query:

select name, ts# from ts$;

4. This will return the tablespace number which you must pass in the query.
5. The DROP_SEGMENTS event will not work if the segments are locked. Typically you will see TS locks in v$lock on the associated tablespace if this event is not working.

This routine does what SMON does in the background, i.e. drops temporary segments. It is provided as a manual intervention tool which the user may invoke if SMON misses the post and does not get to clean the temp segments for hours.
Re: temporary tablespace size [message #52667 is a reply to message #52632] Mon, 05 August 2002 13:47 Go to previous message
Silpa
I had the same problem before.

I restarted the database and every thing was clean.

Did immediate shutdown and restarted it.

If you can afford to bring down you database then you can try this.
Previous Topic: Sun OS paging and SGA
Next Topic: Windows XP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 11:54:05 CDT 2024