Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » DBA General questions:: New at this
DBA General questions:: New at this [message #52461] Tue, 23 July 2002 09:16 Go to next message
Maulin Sekran
Hi,

I am currently taking a database class and i am having great difficulty tyring to figure out these two questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1.)Name three situations when the DBWR writes to the data files and when the LGWR writes to the redo log files.
2.) Describe the scenario in detail that leads to the error message "SNAPSHOT TOO OLD". If you get this error too many times, how would you fix it.
Re: DBA General questions:: New at this [message #52463 is a reply to message #52461] Tue, 23 July 2002 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ctg
sounds like test questions.

1)
DBWR (or DBW0) writes:
checkpoint event
timeout (3 seconds)
too many dirty buffers in the buffer cache
too few free bufers in the buffer cache
LGWR writes:
before DBWR
COMMIT
log buffer 1/3 full
log buffer contains 1 Meg of info

2)
Scenrio:
Joe Issues complicated select stmt getting emp info
Fred updates 1 employee (king) - before image put in RBS
Fred commits - Before image no longer required
Joe finally gets to king, which has been modified, and the before image has been overwritten. Joe gets the Snapshot to old error message.

You can try and avoid this error by:
-- creating more rollback segments
-- making larger rollback segments
Re: DBA General questions:: New at this [message #52465 is a reply to message #52461] Tue, 23 July 2002 13:26 Go to previous message
Blanca Zamarripa
how to calculate SGA to my server? Is a Sun server with Oracle9i, database size is 250 MB aproximatly and the total transactions per day are 5500 with 100 users (80 via internet, 20 via LAN)
Previous Topic: Quota on tablespace
Next Topic: Re: DBA General questions:: New at this
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 21:40:56 CDT 2024