Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Starting services on NT
Starting services on NT [message #52201] Tue, 09 July 2002 01:26 Go to next message
James Briar
We have an NT server (NT4) which runs Oracle 8i. There's three databases on it. When the server is rebooted the services start ok but the databases remain shut (i have to log into sqlplus and do "startup mount" and "alter database open"). If you look at the services under "control panel" after a system reboot the services have a status of started with a startup set to automatic. I created one of the databases for Rman and i set up the service for this using ( oradim -new -sid rmandb -startmode manual -pfile "f:oracleadminrmandbpfileinitrmandb.ora" ). I then went into the service and set startup to automatic. The alert logs show nothing from the time when the server is closed down (no shutdown messages etc). Is there any settings in the registery that i should set?
P.S The server is rebooted rarely so there's no hurry for any reply/fixes. Thanks.
Re: Starting services on NT [message #52221 is a reply to message #52201] Tue, 09 July 2002 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
P
the reason that your database does not automatically start when the service starts is because you have your password (given when you created the service) and password within the database out of sync
Re: Starting services on NT [message #52230 is a reply to message #52221] Wed, 10 July 2002 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Briar
Thanks very much. This fixed the problem. Just one question if i change the sys password in future will i have to recreate the service again.
Re: Starting services on NT [message #52240 is a reply to message #52230] Wed, 10 July 2002 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
P
You should be able to alter just the Password using ORADIM. Though I have to admit I cannot remember doing this recently.
Re: Starting services on NT [message #52242 is a reply to message #52230] Wed, 10 July 2002 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
christopher
I assume you are using a password file. Then the answer is no. Anytime you change the password for SYS, or any SYSDBA/SYSOPER user, the password file will be updated as well when using the ALTER USER command.
Re: Starting services on NT [message #52250 is a reply to message #52242] Wed, 10 July 2002 23:32 Go to previous message
James Briar
Thanks very much Christopher.

P.S I am using a PW file.
Previous Topic: how to connect two database
Next Topic: Storage Partition...urgent!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 21:45:05 CDT 2024