Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Improving Performance in Oracle9i
Improving Performance in Oracle9i [message #51580] Fri, 31 May 2002 10:16 Go to next message
rajesh kanna
I am currently involved in developing a web based system using Bea Weblogic Server and Oracle 9i.The system that i developing now is going store upto 215 million records in the database.I would like get some advice from your end what sort of table design needed to increase the performance of the system.I have created all the business rules need for the system using Oracle Stored Procedures and Java Stored Procedures.All the querys with pre-compiled views.But some of my views uses Union or Union All set operators.Will this reduce the peformance of the system.All desing development and implementation all in the decesion of me.Since there is little bit variations in the field structure i decided to spilit the main table which is going to have 215 million records into two table so that load is been reduced in each table to atleast and half.but still it is enoromous and gigantic.Is is really good approach to spilit in to two table because when i need reports i always use a set operator or sometimes join to get data from these two tables that i have created.I thought of implementing Oracle 9i parallel querey option,but is it a suitable approach.If not how will i be able to increase the performance of the system in Oracle 9i during reporting retrieval.Please help me in this issue as i am in need of deciding the database design of the system.If can please suggest me in following ares the right option to go for
1.Right HardWare that i should procure
2.How many processor the server should be equipped with
3.What technics that i can use in Oracle 9i Database Server so that i tune the performance of the system during data retrieval.
4.Please suggest me whether Parallel Server option need to handle enoromous amount of data.
5.Please suggest me whether i should keep the data all in one table with multiple tablespaces,partition table concept or store in more than one table
6.What are the associated speeding objects like index,clusters specially needed in Oracle 9i to speed up the retrieval of the system.Please suggest me in the issue above and i hope to get a right answer for the above issue as soon as possible.
good luck and regards
rajesh
Re: Improving Performance in Oracle9i [message #51582 is a reply to message #51580] Fri, 31 May 2002 13:54 Go to previous message
andrew again
Don't get confused between parallel server and parallel query. Parallel query is your you have "degree=" set on your tables and indexes (and a few init parms). It's maily useful for very long running queries - not small queries. here is overhead in managing the parallel startup and merge of the results.

Also - 215 million records should have nothing to do with your response time if your indexes are very selective. you'll get < 0.1 second response if you use the PK - try it.

Run trace on your code (start trace from within the code or using something like TOAD, turn trace on for all your web connections - if you are using connection pooling). Run the result through tkprof to find inefficient queries.
Previous Topic: DBMS_LDAP
Next Topic: JSP vs. ColdFusion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 18:11:18 CDT 2024