Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » OPEN_CURSORS in init.ora file
OPEN_CURSORS in init.ora file [message #51390] Mon, 20 May 2002 21:47 Go to next message
Barath Rangaswamy
Hi,

We are frequently encountered with 'MAX CURSORS EXCEEDED' when we access the database through JDBC. The OPEN_CURSORS parameter is set to 9000.

Are there any suggestions to overcome this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Barath
Re: OPEN_CURSORS in init.ora file [message #51391 is a reply to message #51390] Mon, 20 May 2002 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pravin Raharekar
Hi Bharat,

I feel the value which you have set too high for OPEN_CURSOR unnecessarly you are wasting the System Resources. And if you are using the JDBC or ODBC you must implement the Connection Pooling, So that you will never encountered with 'MAX CURSORS EXCEEDED'

I hope this will help you.

Bye
Pravin
Re: OPEN_CURSORS in init.ora file [message #51393 is a reply to message #51390] Tue, 21 May 2002 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barath Rangaswamy
Pravin,

Thanks for your response.

We are making use of connection pooling. In spite of it, we are encountering this problem. One direction which we gained was, if the statement objects are not handled properly, one might face this.

Any further thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Barath
Re: OPEN_CURSORS in init.ora file [message #51395 is a reply to message #51390] Tue, 21 May 2002 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Radovan Biciste
It is really not connected to a connection pooling what so ever. Your problem is that developers are not closing preparedStatement objects (java.sql.preparedStatement.close() ) and relying on garbage collector. I've met this problem on all projects that used jdbc. Somebody should write it into first chapter of jdbc manual in *BOLD* .
Force your developers to do code revision otherwise your app will suffer cursor leaking. Problem is also that application servers like weblogic are keeping several opened connections that could be never closed and cursors can stay opened forever because when you actually releasing connection in java code, you just returning it into pool and do not close it.
Radek
Re: OPEN_CURSORS in init.ora file [message #51399 is a reply to message #51390] Tue, 21 May 2002 09:48 Go to previous message
Radovan Biciste
It is really not connected to a connection pooling what so ever. Your problem is that developers are not closing preparedStatement objects (java.sql.preparedStatement.close() ) and relying on garbage collector. I've met this problem on all projects that used jdbc. Somebody should write it into first chapter of jdbc manual in *BOLD* .
Force your developers to do code revision otherwise your app will suffer cursor leaking. Problem is also that application servers like weblogic are keeping several opened connections that could be never closed and cursors can stay opened forever because when you actually releasing connection in java code, you just returning it into pool and do not close it.
Radek
Previous Topic: Can i increase the sort_area_size
Next Topic: how to calculate the sga size
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 18:14:30 CDT 2024