Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Recovery (crash or media) and controlfile loss
Recovery (crash or media) and controlfile loss [message #50770] Fri, 05 April 2002 01:57 Go to next message
ERIC KERO
Hi all !

Could anyone explain how Oracle (8i) can
perform media recovery (is necessary) after a
controlfile re-creation (using create controlfile
reuse ...) , since checkpoint and other useful recovery datas
are lost in the newly created controlfile ?
All the Oracle literature I've read up to now says that the
controlfile is involved in the recover process.

To make it clearer (I hope so !) :

Since the Recover process seems to rely on the checkpointing informations stored in the ControlFile (as the Docs state it), how can this recovery process can successfully work with missing controlfile informations (Let's assume we are in the particular situation where THE CONTROLFILE ITSELF has to be re-created because all copies were lost) ?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Eric
Re: Recovery (crash or media) and controlfile loss [message #50788 is a reply to message #50770] Sun, 07 April 2002 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kishore
Eric,
Yes, this is true that all the information from control file will be lost during the loss of control file. But redo logs(online and /or archived) do contain SCN (checkpoint information). When you recover from the loss of control file (with newly created one or from backup control file) you should mention the key word "from backup control file". So that Oracle will know it has to update information from redo logs, accordingly. In this particular case the SCN in redo logs will be the main reference point.
I hope this helps you,
Kishore
Re: Recovery (crash or media) and controlfile loss [message #50790 is a reply to message #50770] Sun, 07 April 2002 23:48 Go to previous message
ERIC KERO
Thank you very much
for your clear explanations.
Eric
Previous Topic: Indexes
Next Topic: Urgent: how to transfer data from DB1 to DB2?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 10:26:39 CDT 2024