Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Help! Trouble tracking down the process to a computer
Help! Trouble tracking down the process to a computer [message #50730] Wed, 03 April 2002 13:34 Go to next message
sheela
Hi,
We are running oracle 7.3.4 on solaris 8. One of the databases on the server hangs every 2 weeks. Once this happens, we are not able to log on to the database or connect using sqlplus or any tools (like dba studio from NT). Usually I use ps -f | grep oracleSID to check the database processes and try to use kill -9 to kill it. But that doesn't work as I'm not sure if I'm killing the right process for that database. How can I get more detail info. when this happens so that I can trace it down to the user or specific computer/application?

Thanks
Paul
Re: Help! Trouble tracking down the process to a computer [message #50731 is a reply to message #50730] Wed, 03 April 2002 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sheela
BTW, the only thing now I do is shutdown and restart the database. But that doesn't seem to be a feasible solution. I need to get to the root of the problem and catch the culprit.
Re: Help! Trouble tracking down the process to a computer [message #50744 is a reply to message #50730] Thu, 04 April 2002 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Are there any trace files being created in udump or cdump? Are you getting any messages in your alert log? You may be able to get the right PID by doing a top command followed by capital I (gives you non-idle processes) then do a ps -ef | grep PID starting with the highest resource user (usually oracle). It may be a resource problem and not a client/application problem so don't rule that out.
Re: Help! Trouble tracking down the process to a computer [message #50746 is a reply to message #50730] Thu, 04 April 2002 05:14 Go to previous message
saleem
are you sure it's a process that's stopping the db? if so how did you determine that? can you log into srvmgrl and shut down the database normally? immediately? from there (server manager) you should be able to query the v$ tables to check for locks and irregularities. try that next time. also, if this is happening in regular noticeable intervals, see what else is scheduled to happen on the server around that time to see if there are any conflicts. and if you can afford the overhead and the space, maybe you should put the db in trace mode to see what's occurring before it hangs.
Previous Topic: calculation
Next Topic: Re: ORA-04031: unable to allocate 4032 bytes of shared memory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 10:35:23 CDT 2024