Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Unable to generate trace files
Unable to generate trace files [message #50634] Wed, 27 March 2002 14:16 Go to next message
Hector M. Villarreal
This is the first time I have run into this problem.
I go into svmgrl and connect internal;
then issue
ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE;

I have my backgroud_dump_dest in inti.ora file set correctly.
However, it never creates a trace file. I checked the alert log file and no error msg.

Equally, when I sqlplus as sys or any user I tries alter session set SQL_TRACE=TRUE;
run a query and then ALTER SESSION SET SQL_TRACE=FALSE;

Still no trace file ever is created.

What's going on? Appreciate any help on this one.
Re: Unable to generate trace files [message #50644 is a reply to message #50634] Thu, 28 March 2002 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saleem
Sounds more like there is an issue on the network side.
try the following to ensure you are not mistaken about your issue :
1 - do a search on the entire filesystem for the trace file you would be looking for (*.trc)
2 - make sure you have full permission to see the directory the trace files are going to and that your profile has not changed.
3 - if you are on unix and looking at the directory through a link, make sure the link was not redirected somewhere else by mistake.
4 - go into sqlplus and try to spool a file to the directory that the trace files are supposed to be writing to and see if you can actually write to that directory.

if all this proves that your profile or anything filesystem related appears not to be the case, then double check the current trace file directory in the v$parameter directory. if it's all still good then perhaps you can bounce the db and see if anything behind the scenes has changed.
Re: Unable to generate trace files [message #50648 is a reply to message #50634] Thu, 28 March 2002 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
The file is created in udump not bdump. Also make sure you have read/write access to the directory and the directory exists.
Re: Unable to generate trace files [message #50779 is a reply to message #50634] Fri, 05 April 2002 10:34 Go to previous message
Hector M. Villarreal
I have rebuilt a test database and am not able to generate trace files. Is there a known bug with ORacle 8.1.6? This is the only installation that I am unbale to find any errors when I run :
ALTER SESSION SET SQL_TRACE=TRUE.

or
ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE;

The Alert log file shows following:
Thu Mar 28 10:22:08 2002
alter database backup controlfile to trace
Completed: alter database backup controlfile to trace

I have checked for file permissions and I can spool files to my backgroung_dump_dest as specified on init.ora file.
This problem has got me stumped. I have recycled the database and nothing seems to work. Appreciate it if anyone can resolve this one or point me to why I am unable to create a trace file.
Previous Topic: oracle imp trick
Next Topic: Re: Strange problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 10:34:29 CDT 2024