Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » calling validation in pre-insert trigger (oracle 10g)
calling validation in pre-insert trigger [message #482187] Wed, 10 November 2010 04:38 Go to next message
v1jay1
sir

my purpose is when PRE-INSERT trigger fires validation should be done like date format , primary key in table if validation is ok then a value of text box should be set to sequence no . else it should generate message

pls reply to v1jay1@yahoo.co.in

Re: calling validation in pre-insert trigger [message #482188 is a reply to message #482187] Wed, 10 November 2010 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
What's stopping you?
Re: calling validation in pre-insert trigger [message #482294 is a reply to message #482188] Wed, 10 November 2010 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v1jay1
its throwing exception

PRE-INSERT trigger . Pls if you can advice code for it

requirement

Algo :-

PRE-Insert trigger

(
validate whether entries match database fields as primary key or date format

if validate success
textbox value = sequence no.

else
through message warning

)
waiting for your kind reply & cooperation
bye

Re: calling validation in pre-insert trigger [message #482334 is a reply to message #482294] Thu, 11 November 2010 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Could you post your code? Saying that "it is throwing an exception" doesn't mean much (as we don't know what exception it is).
Re: calling validation in pre-insert trigger [message #482378 is a reply to message #482334] Thu, 11 November 2010 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Also post the exact error message.
Re: calling validation in pre-insert trigger [message #482591 is a reply to message #482187] Sat, 13 November 2010 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v1jay1
my code and error mentioned

declare
a varchar2(10);
begin
message(' test pre ' );-- just to test message put
Validate('PV'); -- block name
if not Form_Success THEN
RAISE Form_Trigger_Failure;
CLEAR_RECORD;
Execute_Query ;
else

select refno.nextval into a from dual ; -- refno is sequence no.
:block7.ref_no :=to_char(a);
end if;
end; -- objective to put sequence no. to textbox if validation success

FRM -40735 PRE-INSERT trigger raised unhandled exception ORA-06502
Re: calling validation in pre-insert trigger [message #482601 is a reply to message #482591] Sat, 13 November 2010 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
A sequence means a number.
You are putting it into a VARCHAR2 variable. Oracle performs implicit conversion to do that, if possible. If a sequence number's length is greater than 10, then you can't put it into a variable whose max length is 10.

Here's an illustration:
SQL> create sequence seq_ora start with 100;

Sequence created.

SQL> declare
  2    a varchar2(1);
  3    b varchar2(10);
  4  begin
  5    select seq_ora.nextval into a from dual;
  6    b := to_char(a);
  7  end;
  8  /
declare
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small
ORA-06512: at line 5

SQL>
Re: calling validation in pre-insert trigger [message #482629 is a reply to message #482601] Sun, 14 November 2010 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Also this:
if not Form_Success THEN
RAISE Form_Trigger_Failure;
CLEAR_RECORD;
Execute_Query ;

Is completely wrong because:
1) If validation fails wouldn't you want the user to fix their mistakes instead of getting rid of what they've done so far?
2) RAISE Form_Trigger_Failure causes the trigger to stop executing at that point. So the following two commands can never ever run.
Re: calling validation in pre-insert trigger [message #482668 is a reply to message #482629] Mon, 15 November 2010 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v1jay1
thanks cookiemonster

but as you said

" 1) If validation fails wouldn't you want the user to fix their mistakes instead of getting rid of what they've done so far?
2) RAISE Form_Trigger_Failure causes the trigger to stop executing at that point. So the following two commands can never ever run "

so please tell alternative

my requirement is to check validation of a block in pre- insert trigger if its validate as per describe db fields and can insert record than i will generate sequence no.

else i will not

thanks Littlefoot
you gave me another thought too that i will avoid but
speak about my main problem pls

bye

Re: calling validation in pre-insert trigger [message #482671 is a reply to message #482668] Mon, 15 November 2010 05:00 Go to previous message
cookiemonster
v1jay1 wrote on Mon, 15 November 2010 10:47
thanks cookiemonster

but as you said

" 1) If validation fails wouldn't you want the user to fix their mistakes instead of getting rid of what they've done so far?
2) RAISE Form_Trigger_Failure causes the trigger to stop executing at that point. So the following two commands can never ever run "

so please tell alternative

Raise an error. Do nothing else.

v1jay1 wrote on Mon, 15 November 2010 10:47

my requirement is to check validation of a block in pre- insert trigger if its validate as per describe db fields and can insert record than i will generate sequence no.

That requirement appears to be based on a misunderstanding about how forms works.

Whenever you try to insert or update a record in forms it will check if all the items and the record itself are marked as valid. If they aren't it'll automatically run any appropriate when-validate triggers. If they pass then the record is marked as valid and forms will proceed to the run the pre-insert/update trigger. If any fail you will get an error and processing will stop.

You do not do validation in pre-insert generally, you do it in the appropriate WHEN-VALIDATE trigger. You might want to generate the sequence no in pre-insert but nothing else.
Previous Topic: Uploading from Excel stopd when I open the file
Next Topic: form personalization
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 18:19:36 CDT 2024