Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Recommendation for "Processes" entry in init.ora
Recommendation for "Processes" entry in init.ora [message #44878] Thu, 22 January 2004 07:26 Go to next message
Duane
Would anyone like to share with me on what their parameter value is? I'm trying to figure out what it might be based on what some of you are doing.

###########################################
# Processes and Sessions
###########################################

processes=xxx

Currently, processes=150 with as many as 300 users hitting certain web pages that are inserting records into tables. I wonder if this is too low for that many users. I'm not sure if all of them are on at the same time but a fair amount could be.
Re: Recommendation for "Processes" entry in init.ora [message #44882 is a reply to message #44878] Thu, 22 January 2004 10:42 Go to previous message
Thiru
Processes parameter puts a limit on the maximum number of OS processes(including your background processes) that can access this particular Oracle instance ,at any given time.
So if you think 300 sessions(connected through dedicated servers) can/will access the database at the same time,then you should bump up this parameter to atleast 320-350(allowing for background,job queue processes etc) and possibly more.

This may or may not need a corresponding increase in your Semaphores on the system.

-Thiru
Previous Topic: Installing Oracle9i from the Hard Drive
Next Topic: Scan alert log and if error found, send alert email
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:37:47 CDT 2024