Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How to plan a Database Size.
How to plan a Database Size. [message #29739] Fri, 19 March 2004 04:21 Go to next message
K.Hariharan
Hi, I am currently working in Shipping industry.

Current Database : Microsoft Access

Now we want to Migrate to Oracle 9i. This Database has to be available to some branches in India via Remote Connection.

Master Tables : 50 to 70
Transaction Tables : 20 to 25 Tables
Data Currently : 2,25,000 Records.
Per day the entry will be around - 150 to 500 records.
Nearly 20 to 30 Users will be accessing Database concurrently.

Based on the above information could you suggest me how to plan a database. What are steps to be followed?

Migrating a Data From Access to Oracle : How to go about it?

Remote Connection in Oracle Database I believe we have to use Database Link. Is there any other way available? What are the necessary parameters required?

Thanks & Regards

Hariharan K.
Re: How to plan a Database Size. [message #29745 is a reply to message #29739] Fri, 19 March 2004 06:29 Go to previous message
Mark
Well, the size of the db would depend on your O.S.(memerory,size of drives) as you add schemas and data the db will grow with autoextend on, so if a directory has limits, and the datafile,redo, or archive files goes over that limit you will have problems.

I would first load Oracle and set up your database.
I would then immediately put the database in archive mode. You should multi-plex all your control files(#2 and #3 as well as your redo log files and archive files to another drive or machine. In the event of a drive failure, the next drive would pick it up(sw needed on that drive, use Oracle Fail Safe). I would consider setting up a parallel or stand by database as well for machine level failure.
I would then start to build my schemas in Oracle, then in Access I would put all data to a flat file, then by using SQLLoader you can then achieve loading the data into Oracle(external tables are available in 9i). And with users accessing the db you should consider setting up rollback segments for your users. Remote access can be set up by creating listeners in Net Manager. Then users can use the client sw to connect.As you can see this could get complex depending on your system and knowledge of Oracle, I would do some reading or research on some documentation from Oracle.
Sites:
http://otn.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/02-sep/o52oracle9idba.html

http://otn.oracle.com/products/manageability/database/pdf/DBBest_OOW01_452P.pdf
Previous Topic: Is it possible to Create Index for VIEWS too?
Next Topic: ORA-00405: compatibility type "LOB Retention"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:53:16 CDT 2024